Instructional Computer Facility
Welcome to the instructional computer facility for undergraduate engineering majors. On this site you can get help with technical issues, report problems, download software, and reserve equipment & rooms.
Help and Support
- Lab monitors will have regularly schedule hours in the instructional computing lab.
- Click here for a lists of the lab monitors' hours.
- Please contact the lab monitor for help and support with any issues.
- You can report a problem using our online form.
- Or you may also email us with any issues or concerns.
Logon for the first time
- Only students registered for engineering courses have access to the computing facilities.
- The logon name is generated from the first six characters of the student's last name appended by the first and second initial (if provided), removing spaces and quotes.
- For example, for student Christopher T. McDowell, the username would be mcdowect.
- The initial password is your Banner ID prefixed with the first letter of your last name and with a lower case 'b'.
- For example, for our student Christopher T. McDowell with Banner ID B123456, the initial password would be Mb123456.
- You'll be prompted to change your password after you've successfully logged on for the first time.
- At least 8 characters long
- Not one of your previous 3 passwords
- Do not contain all or part of the user's account name.
- Contain characters from three of the following four categories: English uppercase characters (A through Z).
- English lowercase characters (a through z).
- Base-10 digits (0 through 9).
- Non-alphanumeric (for example, !, $, #, %). extended ASCII, symbolic, or linguistic characters.
- 30 Minutes Auto Logoff Policy - Due to security concerns of users not logging off properly in the facility we have implemented a 30 minutes auto logoff policy.
- Windows will logoff automatically when the computer stays idle for 30 minutes.
- Any running applications or opened files will be closed without saving.
- If you do need to leave the computer for more than 30 minutes please save work and log off to avoid issues.
How to setup Pawprints for the first time on your Engineering account
- Select Run from the Start menu or click windows key and r key.
- Enter \\10.4.21.57\PAWPrints in the Open field. (For color printing, use \\10.4.21.57\PAWPrintscolor)
- Click OK.
- Please wait, a prompt will appear, then you will be requested to "Enter Network Password". You will need to precede your CIS username with the CIS domain name (ad) in the form: "ad\joeuser", and provide your associated password, not your engineering username/password.
- Do not forget to use "ad\" before your CIS username - this designates the CIS domain instead of the engineering domain!!
- Confirm that the "Remember my credentials" checkbox is checked, and click OK. If you do this, you will only need to connect to Pawprints and Pawprintscolor once, unless your profile is reset.
- The Connect to Printer dialog box will appear. Click Yes. This may take a couple of minutes
- A window with the PAWPrints print queue will appear on your desktop. This permits you to view all queued print jobs that have not been released for printing.
Duplex printing using Windows:
- Select PAWPrints from your Printers and Faxes control panel (Start..Printers and Faxes)
- Right-click on PAWPrints and select Properties from the quick menu.
- Click on the Printing Preferences button.
- Under the Layout tab in the Print on Both Sides section, select Flip on long edge.
- Click Apply to confirm your duplex print setting.
- Click OK to close the PAWPrints Properties dialog box.
NOTE: Duplex printing will be your default print setting. Remember to select None in the Print on Both Sides section of the print properties dialog box when you want to print single-sided pages.
To print to the Brown PAWPrints queue:
- Open the document you wish to print.
- Preview first to make sure the page is set up correctly for printing and you print only what you need. Click Print.
- Select Print from the File menu.
- When the print dialog box appears, customize your print options (if needed) and click Print.
- Your print job will appear in the print queue, viewable on your desktop.
Releasing your print job to a Printer:
- To release your pages to a printer, go to the print release station and follow the print release instructions below. Print release stations are located adjacent to the cluster printers.
- Login with your Brown username and password, and then SWIPE your Brown ID when prompted.
- Select the print job(s) from the PAWPrint queue that you wish to release to the printer.
- From the list of pending print requests, click on one. The number of sheets, associated cost, and your remaining balance will be displayed for your review. Selecting your print job enables the "Print" and "Delete" buttons.
- Use the delete button to remove a selected job from the PAWPrint queue.
- Select the jobs you wish to print and click on the Print button. A fee of $.07 per single-sided page and $.10 per double-sided page will be deducted from your card.
- Go directly to the printer to collect your output, as it will not have a banner page. Note that any job held in the queue for more than 24 hours is automatically deleted.
- The remaining PawPrints or Bear Bucks balance must be sufficient to cover the cost of the selected job or it will not print.
- Take care when deleting. You will not be offered a confirmation step. Once deleted, it is permanently removed.
CIS and the Library will reprint a document if the reason it did not print, or was smudged during printing, was due to a mechanical problem with the printer or a problem with the PAW Prints software. Reprints will not be issued to users who print the wrong document or have their document incorrectly formatted. Users must include the print output with any request for a reprint or reimbursement due to unacceptable print quality.
To obtain a reprint or reimbursement, either:
- Approach a CIS lab consultant or Reference Librarian with your output and request a free reprint.
- If a CIS lab consultant or Reference Librarian is not available, take your output to the CIS Help Desk in the CIT and complete a reimbursement request form for a reprint/refund. NOTE: Cluster printers are configured to cease printing if the toner levels are too low to produce an acceptable print image.
User's Home Directory
- The user's home directory will be automatically mapped to the U: drive.
- The space quota is 500MB.
- User's My Documents and Desktop will be redirected to user's Home Directory.
Temporary Work Spaces and Scratch Folders
- D:\TEMP, D:\TMP, D:\Scratch and D:\Working Folder are the temporary work spaces and scratch folders for programs or projects that require larger space.
- Please note that all temporary work space and scratch folder contents are removed at logoff.